Dental scale is a plaque of bacteria that hardens over or around the tooth. The residues in the nutrients consumed in the chewing system can easily be placed on the teeth, between the teeth and in the areas where the teeth connect with the gums. In cases where daily oral and dental care cannot be performed effectively or remains inadequate, bacteria multiply by adhering to these nutrients and harden around the teeth by merging with minerals over time. They appear as yellowish and brown spots around the teeth that are firmly attached to the teeth.
Why does dental scale occur?
- In cases where daily dental care is not applied by enough attention (such as inadequate brushing and not using floss)
- Salivary structure due to minerals in it (Therefore, the formation of dental scale, the frequency of formation varies from person to person.)
- Carbohydrate and sugar rich eating habits
- Some drugs used
What can dental scale cause?
- General teeth and gum health may be deteriorated. In cases where the removal of dental scale is neglected, the gum can become inflamed and cause melting of the hard bone tissue that holds the teeth firmly. If no precautions are taken, this may cause some people to lose their healthy teeth.
- The patient does not feel well in social relations due to the odor that can be created by dental scale, and may cause discomfort with the smell.
- The unpleasant appearance of dental scale causes the patient to carry aesthetic concerns in daily life.
How to remove dental scale?
Dental scales should be cleaned by the dentist. Dentist cleaning done by the dentist is called deterrage. Detection is carried out with ultrasonic devices. The stains on the tooth are removed by the rotating instruments used by the dentist.
How to prevent dental scale?
- Effective removal of nutrient residues around the tooth to prevent bacterial growth can prevent and / or slow down dental scale formation. Therefore, at least 2 times in the morning and evening and if possible after each meal should be cleaned teeth. In order to prevent the growth of bacteria attached to the soft plaque due to the decrease in salivation and washing effect, oral and dental care should be performed and floss must be used before sleeping. If the teeth are cleaned after the last meal before sleep, the mouth should be rinsed with plenty of water before sleep.
- Dental care should be personalized with the dentist in terms of the brush, floss and interface brush to be used. To determine the materials and properties to be used in tooth cleaning, the physician’s advice should be taken into consideration.
- Nutritional habits with excessive carbohydrates and sugars should be replaced with balanced eating habits.
- Physician control should be gained regularly every 6 months.